19 October 2011

Good enough in a squeeze

And now for that in depth review of the iPhone 4S as a digiscoping/binning camera or, because I have a life and would rather be doing something else, a quick image of something on the other side of my study,...

iPhone 4S + Leica 8x42 Ultravids at minimum focus distance under terrible lighting with my standard digi-scoping post-processing applied, i.e. into Nikon Capture NX2 for a very small amount of contrast (+5), resized for blog (900 pixels along longest edge) and a gentle unsharp mask (intensity 20%, radius 3%, threshold 1).

I'm sure I could get a picture of a large, slow moving rarity if I absolutely had to. I'll probably still reach for the DSLR to document the flyby Asian Red-rumped Swallow mind.

PS. If I remember, I'll point it at a bird this weekend,... stay tuned tech fans.

PPS. I saw my first Short-eared Owl of the autumn today,... and a Dark-bellied Brent Goose, both over yonder, in deepest South Gloucestershire.

No comments: